This is the playthrough page for my second Skyrim playthrough, for the character Merawen of the Dunmer.
I began this playthrough immediately after the one for the Bosmer Alarrah, on 7/31/2021, just because there were large bits of the game I didn’t do with Alarrah and which I wanted to explore. I wanted Merawen to be my character to explore the Thieves Guild, to have a higher emphasis on using magic, and possibly also to explore the Dark Brotherhood.
I’d originally expected that the posts for Merawen’s run would not be quite as thorough as Alarrah’s, because of not wanting to write about the portions that would be the same. But as it turned out I had plenty of new material to talk about, as well as talking about the differences in how Merawen handled things vs. how Alarrah did.
Another notable difference I did with Merawen is the order in which I played major parts of the game. With Alarrah, I did the main plot first (and assorted major side plots such as the College of Winterhold), then Dawnguard, then Dragonborn.
With Merawen, I followed a track of cycling back and forth between several different things at once: Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold, and Dawnguard, with periodic diversions back to the main plot. Then I ran Dragonborn, and finally, closed out at the end with defeating Alduin and saving the world. I wound up liking this play flow kind of better, just because it seemed like a more satisfying narrative progression in terms of escalation of the stakes.
(However, I also found that cycling back and forth thing hard to keep track of, which informed my choices on later playthroughs.)
As Merawen was a Dunmer, I decided that as with many Dunmer coming to Skyrim, the eruption of Red Mountain early in the Fourth Era had to be critical to her backstory. However, I also decided she was too young to have witnessed it herself. She did, however, witness the impact of that eruption on her family.
While I never did decide for sure if Merawen’s family were Ashlanders, I was pretty sure they were–and that her family was reduced to hardscrabble existence and health issues that more or less wiped them out by the time Merawen came into the picture. She fled to Skyrim on a stolen boat, and probably got nabbed by the Empire not long after she came ashore near Windhelm.
This put her into a position to be very strongly influenced by the treatment of Dunmer she saw going on in Skyrim, particularly in Windhelm. And it informed a lot of the choices I made with her all throughout the game, up to and including her choice of spouse (Jenassa), and how Solstheim struck me very differently when I went there as a Dunmer.
All in all, it made Merawen a very satisfying character to play.
Here are all the posts about Merawen’s playthrough! They’re listed in descending date order, so the newest posts appear first. Also, note the pagination controls after the first five posts. You can page through to see the newer ones.
You can also browse Merawen’s posts via her playthrough category link.
- In Which Merawen Slays the Dragon Priest Rahgot - 10/11/2021In which Merawen slays the Dragon Priest Rahgot at Forelhost—and thwarts the plans of “Captain Valmir”.
- In Which Merawen Explores North of Windstad and South of Riften - 10/10/2021In which Merawen assists the Nord wizard Anska in High Gate Ruins; explores all along the northeastern coast of Skyrim; and slays another Revered Dragon at Lost Tongue Overlook.
- In Which Merawen Has a Way Livelier Night Than Anticipated - 10/09/2021In which Merawen builds, crafts, and enchants all the things--and then has an unexpectedly VERY lively night after agreeing to have a few drinks with a guy in Windhelm.
- In Which Merawen Becomes Thane of Hjaalmarch and Also Defeats Miraak - 10/08/2021In which Merawen becomes thane of Hjaalmarch after uncovering a vampire plot in Morthal; and in which she finally slays Miraak and ends his threat to Solstheim.
- In Which Merawen Tells Sapphire About Her Father, and Slays a Dragon in Solitude - 10/07/2021In which Merawen brings Glover Mallory's letter to his daughter in the Thieves Guild--and later, fights and slays a Revered Dragon right in the heart of Solitude.
Merawen’s screenshot album can be found on the Merawen Screenshots page.