This is the playthrough page for my second Skyrim playthrough, for the character Merawen of the Dunmer.
I began this playthrough immediately after the one for the Bosmer Alarrah, on 7/31/2021, just because there were large bits of the game I didn’t do with Alarrah and which I wanted to explore. I wanted Merawen to be my character to explore the Thieves Guild, to have a higher emphasis on using magic, and possibly also to explore the Dark Brotherhood.
I’d originally expected that the posts for Merawen’s run would not be quite as thorough as Alarrah’s, because of not wanting to write about the portions that would be the same. But as it turned out I had plenty of new material to talk about, as well as talking about the differences in how Merawen handled things vs. how Alarrah did.
Another notable difference I did with Merawen is the order in which I played major parts of the game. With Alarrah, I did the main plot first (and assorted major side plots such as the College of Winterhold), then Dawnguard, then Dragonborn.
With Merawen, I followed a track of cycling back and forth between several different things at once: Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold, and Dawnguard, with periodic diversions back to the main plot. Then I ran Dragonborn, and finally, closed out at the end with defeating Alduin and saving the world. I wound up liking this play flow kind of better, just because it seemed like a more satisfying narrative progression in terms of escalation of the stakes.
(However, I also found that cycling back and forth thing hard to keep track of, which informed my choices on later playthroughs.)
As Merawen was a Dunmer, I decided that as with many Dunmer coming to Skyrim, the eruption of Red Mountain early in the Fourth Era had to be critical to her backstory. However, I also decided she was too young to have witnessed it herself. She did, however, witness the impact of that eruption on her family.
While I never did decide for sure if Merawen’s family were Ashlanders, I was pretty sure they were–and that her family was reduced to hardscrabble existence and health issues that more or less wiped them out by the time Merawen came into the picture. She fled to Skyrim on a stolen boat, and probably got nabbed by the Empire not long after she came ashore near Windhelm.
This put her into a position to be very strongly influenced by the treatment of Dunmer she saw going on in Skyrim, particularly in Windhelm. And it informed a lot of the choices I made with her all throughout the game, up to and including her choice of spouse (Jenassa), and how Solstheim struck me very differently when I went there as a Dunmer.
All in all, it made Merawen a very satisfying character to play.
Here are all the posts about Merawen’s playthrough! They’re listed in descending date order, so the newest posts appear first. Also, note the pagination controls after the first five posts. You can page through to see the newer ones.
You can also browse Merawen’s posts via her playthrough category link.
- Final Thoughts on Merawen’s Skyrim Run - 10/30/2021The final post for Merawen's Skyrim run, doing a roundup of my various thoughts about various aspects of it. Includes two videos, with a sweep through her stats and skills!
- In Which Merawen Slays the World-Eater in Sovngarde - 10/30/2021In which Merawen rather belatedly acquires a proper house in Riften, and then goes and celebrates by going all the way to Sovngarde and taking out the World-Eater, Alduin.
- In Which Merawen Masters the Illusion School, and Attends a Peace Council - 10/29/2021In which Merawen achieves final mastery of the Illusion school of magic—and then attends a peace council fraught with politics and tension at High Hrothgar.
- In Which Merawen Achieves Mastery of Destruction - 10/28/2021In which Merawen engages in the mage college's ritual quest for the Destruction school of magic, investigating the clues in a mysterious book given her by Faralda.
- In Which Merawen Defeats the Ebony Warrior and Arranges a Peace Council - 10/27/2021In which Merawen gives the Ebony Warrior the final sendoff to Sovngarde he craves; and in which she gets both Ulfric Stormcloak and General Tullius to agree to a peace council.
Merawen’s screenshot album can be found on the Merawen Screenshots page.